Belgium boasts a variety of attractive audiovisual incentives available to both national and international co-productions.
At a national level, the Tax Shelter offers tax benefits to Belgian companies or enterprises investing in audiovisual productions - short and feature films, TV documentaries and fictional drama.
On a regional level there are the Economic and Cultural Funds:
- The Economic Funds are aimed at attracting audiovisual activity to the different regions in Belgium and stimulating the domestic audiovisual industry by investing in both national and international projects. The funds are awarded through a selective system based on economic criteria:
- Flanders: Screen Flanders
- Wallonia: Wallimage
- Brussels: screen.brussels fund
- The Cultural Funds are primarily aimed at supporting locally initiated audiovisual projects at the various stages of the production process. They also support international co-productions. The funds are awarded through a selective system mainly based on cultural criteria:
- Flemish Community: Flanders Audiovisual Fund (VAF)
- French Community: Centre du Cinéma et de l'Audiovisuel (CCA)
Belgian broadcasters, both public and private, can also invest in independent productions, either through co-producing or via pre-sales.
For foreign producers interested in qualifying for support from the aforementioned bodies, the best and easiest way is to first find a local co-producer via the Belgian producers' associations: